May 14, 2012

May 7, 2012

Hola Familia y Amigos!

Greetings from San Felipe! This week was week one in my new area with my new companion. It was a crazy week. I ate a Guinea Pig and saved my champions life ha-ha.

So first things first. My new area is really nice. I'm pretty sure I am in a really rich area. The houses are nice. They remind me of down town Ogden and there are parks and what not. Basically I feel super spoiled. Not to mention our house is awesome. We have a full first floor of an apartment building. It comes with a living room, a kitchen and    two bathrooms. . . . Yeah I know the Hermanas always get the best houses ha-ha.

My new companion is Hermana Campbell from St. George Utah. I was really worried to get a North American companion, mostly for my Spanish, but that hasn't been a problem at all. Hermana Campbell is really strict, focused and organized. So we never speak English, NEVER. She also was a math teacher before her mission and had studied three years of Spanish at BYU so her grammar is amazing. She has the best Spanish of any of the North Americans. It's been really helpful. For the first time in my mission I feel like I am actually getting something out of my language study. We do drills, practices and she is always helping me with my grammar. The ward members told me on Sunday that in one week my Spanish has gotten a lot better. So that's exciting.
We are defiantly two very different people. Hermana Campbell's mind is complex and logical . . . and well . . . I'm just a simpleton ha-ha, but we get along great. She is a really hard worker.

So I ATE A GUINGEA PIG!!! Or as they call it in Peru "Cuy" It actually isn't that bad. Its meat. Taste like chicken ha-ha. I felt pretty awesome I ate my Cuy with my hands sucked all the meat I could off of every bone! I'm basically a Latina! WHOOT!

Other Exciting story, pretty much saved my companions life.. Last night we were standing on a street corner waiting to cross the street. I was up on the curb but Hermana Campbell was down on the road. A huge bus was turning past us and Hermana Campbell wasn't paying attention. I noticed just in time and pulled her away before the bus nailed her. I wasn't able to completely get her out of the way and the bus hit her arm but at least It didn't run her over. Afterwards we tried to contact some people on the corner who had ran over to see if she was o.k. ha-ha. I couldn't stop laughing throughout the entire conversation.

This week is MOTHERS DAY!! I can't even tell you all how excited I am. This vernes we get to do an almuerso with all the Hermanas in the mission! Which means I get to see Hermana Lema! And then Sunday I get to talk to my family! I couldn't be happier.

As far as the obra here in San Felipe. Its good. This area is in better shape than Antares was. The only problem is the elders left us with NO information about their investigators. We have a first name, and a street but nothing else. So great. Maria on the road Ica has been taking the lesson. But Ica is a mile long and we are in Peru do you know how many Marias live in PERU!! It's all good. Luckily the ward members know where the investigators live that have been coming to church and what not. We were able to get permission for a really amazing 15 year old boy. He has been investigating the church for a couple months now and as he said "I'm more active than half the members in our ward" (sad but true) he has wanted to get baptized for a while but his mom didn't feel like he was ready. We taught him a lesson and asked when we could talk to his mom. He was really doubtful that she would grant her permission but he called her into the room. Honestly the Lord has been preparing her heart because we said nothing profound or anything we just talked to her for a minute and then she turns to her son and asks if he wants to get baptized. He told her that he did and he felt ready. Then she looks at us and basically says. "Well then hand me that paper." I wish you could have seen the look on Kenyi´s face. It was the sweetest mix of shock and pure happiness. He hugged his mom and just kept smiling. Afterwards we had Kenyi say the closing prayer. It was the first time Kenyis mom had heard him pray. She was really touched. All and all it was a really sweet experience.

So basically all is well. I miss Hermana Lema. But we all have to grow up and leave our mission moms at some point. Hermana Campbell is a great missionary and I'm sure I have a lot to learn from her and I'm really excited to be here in San Felipe. The ward is small but really helpful. I have a good feeling that with the help of the lord we can really make a difference in this area.

So that's about it for my week!
Love you all!
Hermana Sadie Jean Taggart

No comments:

Post a Comment