June 24, 2012

Fathers Day Letter


Hola Familia y Amigos! ¿Que tal? Ojala todo esta bien.

 So this week was my first week in Santa Isabel. It's a lot like my last area seeing as they are right next to each other. The only difference is that we have a huge section of serro or hills. They are basically giant dirt hills where the houses are a lot more humble. One day when I am feeling brave I might take my camera up there so you can all see what it looks like.

This Saturday we did service in a house up there. My job with to take a giant pick ax and hack at the ground to make stairs up to their house, then we used the dirt and rocks to level out the floor of their home. I'll be honest I loved doing service. I could do that all day every day and be so happy with my life.

This area is good. I feel like there is lots of potential. I just have to help my companion feel the same way. She is really depressed, I think she is just letting the constant rejection get her down, which I understand, but the thing is that the mission doesn't get any easier if we sit in our house and cry all day. We aren't going to be blessed with succees  if we don't go out there and work hard. Familias de oro aren't going to come knocking on our doors, We have to go out and find them. So that's something I think we will have to work on. My goal is to be super positive. Shower her with compliments and help her have the  desire to work harder.
Just don't judge me if this cambio I get fat. I'm trying to leave the house and go running, but sadly I can't leave alone.

I'm actually really excited to work in this area. On Sunday we talked with the Bishop. He told me that this ward has only had two baptisms this whole year and he is really concerned. He is a really good man and has a desire to help the people in the ward. I was really impressed when I asked him "What can we do to help you?" He looked at me and said "Baptize Families." Well then that's what we are going to do.

We meet a women named Maria, her husband (Denis) is an inactive member of the church, She has wanted to get baptized for a long time but she doesn't want to go to church by herself. Her sister in law (so her husband's little sister) is currently on a mission. This has softened Denis´s heart and he is willing to meet with us and to start coming to church. The good news is that they are MARRIED!! Which is a really a big blessing ha-ha. So I'm sure we will be able to help Maria progress to baptism while at the same times bringing her husband and children back to the church. There is nothing better than helping a family become stronger in the gospel!

Father's Day I had a really great experience. I'll be honest I don't like Fathers Day. This Sunday was my first Sunday going to church on Father's Day  in 5 years . . . . I was worried how it would be but it wasn't bad. Then Sunday night we had a lesson with a member who has just been coming back to church for about a month now with her husband. I had never meet them before and really knew very little about their situation. My companion just told me that they had been teaching him for about a month now and he just doesn't have the desire to come to church.
Before leaving the house I had an odd impression that I should grab the picture I have of my baptism. It's me and my dad dressed in white right before my baptism.
We got to the lesson and it became obvious why. We taught Ruben the Plan of Salvation again, but this time we focused on his role as a father in this great plan. Then I felt impressed to take out my picture. I told him about my Dad. How he was a convert to the church and how his choice to leave behind the things of the world had blessed my life. We then explained how baptism was an essential step in our progress to live with our heavenly father, and how he could help his daughter who just turned 8 take that step. He was SO excited. He looked at me then at the picture then at me again and said. "What do I need to do?" For me it was a really beautiful experience. Defiantly the best Fathers Day I have had in the last five years.

It's wonderful because right now my Dad isn't here with me, but thanks to the gospel of Jesus Christ I know that I can be with him again, and thanks to the Power of the Priesthood we are an eternal family. It really was a wonderful experience to look at another Father and Daughter and realize that I could be part of the process to help them have the same blessing. HAPPY FATHERS DAY! Seriously could there be a better gift or message then that. (only problem is we have to get him to come to church, get married and then baptized.) But I'm not worried. He is a good man, who loves his family. He has the desire. I'm really excited for this family.

So basically all is well. Pray for me. I'm going to need a lot of patience .
I love you all very much!
Till next week.
Hermana Sadie Jean Taggart

No comments:

Post a Comment