November 8, 2012

October 29, 2012

Hoooollllaaaaa Familia y Amigos!
 
This week was wonderful! Crazy busy! So much to do, I love weeks like this. So like I was saying in my last letter, this week was a week of milestones. First was on Wednesday. I reached the 6 year mark of my Dads passing away. Normally I like to take a break off life on this day and have a pity party, but on a mission there just isn't time for that. I felt like I wanted to be Sad but I didn't even have time to think about being sad.
 
Friday I reached one year in the mission. It was crazy to think how far I have come and all that I have done in one year. Their year has changed so many things. It has changed me physically, emotionally and spiritually. So I thought I would share with you all how this year has changed me, let's start with physically.
My hair, its longer and lighter, and THINNER! (Thankfully my family sent me hair and nail pills or I would be without hair.)
My Eyes, Limas air is so dirty that my eyes have actually turned slightly yellow. . . yup that's gross I know! But it's true, we got new North Americans and me and Hermana Anderson were looking at them and she turns to me and says "Look their eyes are still white."
My body, I'm still thinner then when I left, not sure how cuz I eat a lot more. but my pensitionista feeds me like crazy she seems determined to help me gain every pound back ha-ha, but with all the walking we do I'm not sure if it will happen or not.
My Knees, I have calices on my knees from praying so much on dirt or cement floors.
My feet, . . . . we won't even go there, but let's just say that a pedicure will be more than needed when I get home.
 
Mentally:
I'm more patient. Much more patient.
The culture of Peru is starting to grow on me and time doesn't stress me out like it use to. Being late is just a part of life ha-ha. (I hope that wares off fast when I get home or Ill really bother people in the states)
I've also become less judgmental.
 
Spiritually:
During my time in my mission I have learned SO much about the gospel, but not in the sense of new scriptures that I didn't know before, or new doctrine. Really I had study my scriptures before so I have had few moments where I have said "Wow I didn't know that" more than anything I have practiced the gospel in a way that I never had before. Before I served my mission I could tell you that the purpose of a baptism is to receive a remission of your sins, but in the mission I have seen it, I've lived it, I know it with my heart now and before I think I only knew it with my mind.
 
This year has been one of the best years of my life, It's been hard and not every moment is fun, but I have learned SO MUCH and I have been blessed with a joy and a special peace of mind that I had never found before.
 
Friday we celebrated my one year mark with Three baptisms! I couldn't ask for a better way! It was wonderful! After the baptism Elizabeth, Wilian and Arturo shared their testimonies. It was funny to listen about how Wilian and Arturo really didn't want to listen to us at first but when she started listening they felt something. Arturo shared his experience of how reading the scriptures has helped him stop fighting with his family. He finished by saying that getting baptized was the best decision that he had ever made.
 
I thought about myself, one year ago, October 26th 2011. Lying on an old bunk bed in the Provo MTC staring at the ceiling thinking "WHAT HAVE I DONE!" Those first few weeks in the MTC were really tough for me. I'll be honest I wished that I had never made the decision to serve a mission, but at the end of the night October 26th 2012 I laid in my bed, in Peru staring at the ceiling thinking the same thing that Arturo thought "This is the best decision I have EVER MADE!"
I am so thankful that I decided to serve a mission, I wouldn't trade this year for anything. I feel truly blessed that they Lord wanted me to serve a mission, What a blessing!
 
With one year down I have six months more, Six months more to give it all and make the best out of the time the Lord has given me. What a blessing!
 
I love you all, thanks for your letters of love and support. I'm sorry if you wrote me and I never got your letter thanks to the post office strike, but it sounds like things are a lot calmer now so you should be safe to write me.
 
Thanks for all your love and support!
Hermana Sadie Jean Taggart

No comments:

Post a Comment